Daybreak Game Company today announced that PlanetSide 2 – the critically acclaimed, massively multiplayer online first-person shooter – is now available for free on the PlayStation 4 entertainment system in North America and Europe.
“The original PlanetSide was the first MMOFPS, PlanetSide 2 set a new standard for shooters when it launched on the PC in 2012, and now the massive battles are unmatched on the console. The game is synonymous with large-scale warfare and there’s just no comparison,” said Andy Sites, PlanetSide 2 director of development. “PlanetSide 2 fosters a unique kind of unwavering camaraderie among players, so we’re excited to see how our community grows on the PlayStation 4.”
- PlanetSide 2 is now available as a free-to-play download in North America and Europe with optional in-game purchases via digital download on the PlayStation 4 store – no PlayStation Plus membership required.
- PlanetSide 2 is the only game on the PS4 to bring massive player communities together in simultaneous battles across an enormous world conflict.
- A Membership option will be available for USD $14.99/month for players interested in an enhanced PlanetSide 2 experience, which includes: a monthly Battle Cash grant, increased experience, certifications and resource gains, discounts in the marketplace, exclusive promotions, access to a monthly double experience weekend event and priority log-in queue access.
- The launch follows an extensive Closed Beta period, in which the PlanetSide 2 development team tested server stability, performance and various other aspects of the game as well as adjusted and refined features based on player feedback.
- PlanetSide 2 is massive, breaking the GUINNESS WORLD RECORD for Most Players Online in a First-Person Shooter Battle earlier this year on the PC version of the game.
PlanetSide 2 is a revolutionary massive scale first-person shooter where soldiers battle as one in strategic, targeted missions against enemy empires in an all-out planetary war. The game challenges the skill and grit of the most seasoned soldier through intense infantry, air and ground vehicle gameplay.
Across the continents of Auraxis, thousands of players will come together in enormous battles to win control of critical territories and key resources for their empire. With an extensive skill tree and free-form class-based system, players will be able to customize their soldier, weapons and vehicles to match their play-style, as well as the needs of their squad, outfit or empire. Battles can last for days or weeks, so players will need to build alliances and specialized combat outfits to take on long-term strategic and tactical initiatives. With aircraft and ground vehicles, as well as infantry combat, the battles will be larger and more intense than ever before.